Monday, May 10, 2010

Dubious

Spencer has been going to kindy... its been a month now. Out of the 8 days he's booked in he's made it to 5 of those days. Public holidays and sickness kept him out of the game for a bit there. So after a month i feel its time to evaluate. It sucks.

Spencer is 3 now and every facet (except toilet training which he did entirely himself) of his childhood has been hard work on both linc and myself. Eating, sleeping and behavior in particular. Before sending him to kindy we'd made some real headway in the sleeping and eating department. It took weeks and alot of tears from all involved but progress had been made.

We felt kindy was the answer to help spencer with social interaction, as well as the many other obvious perks. I was looking forward to spending some one on one time with brooklyn and having a cleaning and shopping day as well. This has not happened. I now have to drive up on both days and pat him off to sleep. This sucks because i can't get anything done.

Brooklyn sleeps from 9am - 11am
Spencer sleeps from 11.30am till whenever
Brooklyn sleeps from 1pm till whenever

This means that NOTHING is getting done. We have an extremely distressed little boy, that cries continually at home, doesn't eat and wakes up to 6 - 12 times a night..... screaming. I'm still battling this cold and last night started vomiting so i feel like crap. Linc is sleep deprived as well. He gets up to him as he insists i sleep so i can get over this cold.

I was prepared for a few hiccups and a period of settling in. I was prepared for a few tears and then he'd forget mum and go have fun. When you hear your child screaming in the night that he doesn't want to go to kindy, it really makes it hard to force him to go.

We're prepared to stick it out longer. Granted the last month hasn't had some consistency with holidays etc. In the mean time, I'm over it. Its damn expensive and a real inconvenience. I keep telling myself that we're doing this for his own good. He really needs to socialize and learn appropriate behavior before school. Its either going to suck now, or suck later. Get it over and done with i guess.

ARGH!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my heart breaks reading this Alicia. It sounds so dreadful for YOU:(
    Sounds to me like you are doing a great job under the circumstances.

    Is 11.30 when he naps at home? It seems like a rather early naptime for a 3yr-old??!??!?! Would napping later help him? Perhaps he'd be more tired and just drift off?!??!?!
    Just a thought. I think you've thought of everything else.
    Does he go to preprep next year? That environment may suit him better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At home he goes down for reading then sleep at 12:30 - 1pm ish. at kindy its 12... so a little early. He's now started wetting the bed and then is cranky the next day because of the lack of sleep... man its just one viscous cycle! I'm trying to have some perspective on the whole thing but my patience has run out. I want my happy boy back! Its just really disheartening to see all our hard training go out the window. Just need to swallow my pride and get on with it. Thanks bev, here's to the blog i write one day on how fabulous his behavior is and how well he sleeps at night! It may take another 10yrs but i guess thats called hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If he really hates it and it's causing this much trouble, is it worth it? Perhaps he's just not ready??!?!??!
    Thinking of you. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought this myself. I'll give it 3 months and then try again later. Its far too traumatic for all of us

    ReplyDelete