Sunday, May 2, 2010

and hope to be able to "gendure" all things

So ages ago lincoln did up a articles of faith poster for us and we used it in a fhe lesson. He prettied it up and after the lesson i thought it belonged on the back of the toilet door. And there it has stayed for about 4 years now. In his haste the 13th AOF has 2 spelling errors which has never bothered me but tonight one of the spelling errors lead to a series of thoughts.

The title shows the spelling mistake. Its meant to be endure. But when i look at the word it says 2 things to me. Obviously the first is endure, but secondly, gender. To endure with the different trials that come with gender. Male and Female share some similar trials, but we also have trials that are uniquely relate to our sex alone.

Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.(Proclamation of the Family)

Heavenly Father began with man, so thats where i'll start. Men, in general are interesting. I say this because i am female and am still trying to understand them. In times past they have been heroes and villans. They hold a special place in our hearts in their roles as fathers, sons, husbands, friends and so forth. They think very differently to women. So what do men have to "gendure?"

Well in the church, they hold the keys of the priesthood which includes service and from time to time leadership and service responsibilities. I would imagine that its not always easy to do this. It means leading in their own homes which is rewarding but alas we are mortal and the boys get tired.

In most homes, men are the bread winners. The thought of having to work for several decades would be such a daunting and exhausting task. I know most men take this role VERY seriously. With mounting pressure from the world (and might i add also within the church) the need to be keeping up with the Jones' is rampant!

Men live with, marry, and associate with females. That sometimes is no easy task. I sometimes pity my poor husband. I'm no shrinking violet. I'm emotional, opinionated and at times difficult to live with. I have high expectations and big financial dreams. How on earth does he not only deal with me but continue to love me! These trait were probably quite endearing to begin with but i'm sure they grind on his nerves. Where does that patience come from and can i borrow some please?!

I'm no man and so i really don't know in entirety the trials of men experience. Feel free to add some more people.

Then came woman.

Well HF certainly out did himself when he created woman. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a huge feminist and don't believe there is a superior sex, but last time i checked i was a female and know more about my own sex. Aren't we complex! At times we boggle our own minds. With all the physical, spiritual, intellectual and emotional beauty women behold we certainly have exceptionally "unique" trials that we have to "gendure."

The obvious comes to mind. Pregnancy and childbirth, periods, motherhood etc. I'll spend some brief emphasis on these. Women experience alot of pain. Perhaps thats how women have alot of sympathy? Empathy comes from experience. Periods are inconvenient, messy and for some painfull. We know they're necessary but i'm sure i'm not alone when i say that.... isn't there a easier way! Pregnancy is difficult, uncomfortable, taxing and sometimes dangerous. Childbirth hurts... ALOT. Raising children and being mothers is the hardest job in the world when your trying. WOW, some really hard stuff. I feel its obvious that the rewards and joys are unique too. Many a women can relate to that most sacred, special occasion of the birth of their child. A memory treasured and held dear.

I also think that the female mind creates its own trials. Alot of women think lowly of themselves. Low self esteem is a plague on society. I know in my own case that my thoughts are never static. A busy highway would be more accurate. And so when one believes she is of no worth, then no bully, tyrant or evil doer could ever be as ruthless as the constant voice of thought within a womens mind.

Women are super busy. A womens work is never, and can i emphasize NEVER, done. Work blesses and curses our lives. Many a women feels overwhelmed by the mammoth list that she carries in her head. A list that never gets shorter but seems to be growing. We feel a need for perfection (another worldwide plague, good job on this one Satan). Wether at church or within our communities and homes we feel a need to achieve perfection. To portray and strive for what we have been promised will come with effort within the eternities. What is required is effort. Not what we're achieving but what we're becoming. All sounds good in theory but i know for myself that i feel this pressure to "appear" to a social standing of perfection.

We are daughters of our Heavenly Father who loves us and we love him. Repeated weekly by the young women of the church. Whilst i know this, and for the most part believe this, I feel that myself and many others this is not enough. We want to be superwomen. We want to be.... something or someone that we are currently not. I often scold myself for weaknesses and my lack of Christian qualities. I remember this quote from teaching in yw's. I always feel i fall short but it has always impressed me and stayed with me

Women of God can never be like women of the world. The world has enough women who are tough; we need women who are tender. There are enough women who are coarse; we need women who are kind. There are enough women who are rude; we need women who are refined. We have enough women of fame and fortune; we need more women of faith. We have enough greed; we need more goodness. We have enough vanity; we need more virtue. We have enough popularity; we need more purity.

True doctrine is like electricity through my body.

The following echoes my thoughts ...

President Faust observed that femininity “is the divine adornment of humanity. It finds expression in your … capacity to love, your spirituality, delicacy, radiance, sensitivity, creativity, charm, graciousness, gentleness, dignity, and quiet strength. It is manifest differently in each girl or woman, but each … possesses it. Femininity is part of your inner beauty.”

I miss that in women. I fear we have gone too far. Gentle dignity, quiet strength.

I've gone off topic. Can anyone think of any more gendures?

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Lis. And the new layout is great.

    I don't have any other 'gendure' trials to add to your list, but I do wonder...

    You know those chain emails that talk about how wonderful women are because they are strong enough to endure child birth and soft enough to cry when little Timmy's reached a milestone etc?

    This leads me to think about the difference between the sexes too.

    Why doesn't somebody write one of those about men? Or are the men that tough that they just don't care?

    Yes, we women need reminders of our capabilities, but don't men need them too? Or is it really that obvious to them already?

    Cam, for example, certainly wouldn't care if a touching email was written about men. Are they all like this?

    Because some men do need to take credit for putting up with the rubbish that we women thro at them sometimes.

    Back to our divine nature as women - Life is short. I'm going to have to ask HF for an extension to even have a hope at reaching my potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think men care, their just not conditioned to show it. Or feel confidant within themselves to express it, or maybe just don't know how through lack of practice. Would you believe Bobbie comber just did a post on fatherhood and patted her man on the back for his wonderful softer side. Maybe a man should write this tribute to their own sex? I know within our relationship Lincoln try to express pride in each other. I remember the first time Lincoln said he was proud of me and it made me beam from within. I notice he has a little smirk when i return compliments and express pride within his accomplishments as well. There are enough "Heman womens haters club's" around and vice versa. There are many people out there who let their sex down. Our prisons are full of them, and sadly many of them are still within our communities doing horrendous damage. On the other hand we have many hero's who often go unnoticed and keep doing the right thing because its the right thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks i love the layout too... i think i found something thats "me."

    ReplyDelete