Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Make this look good

So photography is all the rage right now. I know of several friends and associates that are undertaking study and training to work in their field of choice. I dare say its a passion for them. The most equisite wedding photos, breath taking scenery, darling newborns, romantic engagement shots, and heartwarming family portraits are taken and "touched up," then delivered to clients and displayed on blogs and fb. Some of the work is absolutely first class. Perfection comes to mind. I don't know if i want to cover the photoshop part of this discussion yet. What i did want to say is this...

Can you make fat look good? When bride's are stunning, scenery 's phenomenal, newborns cute, family's endearing, fiance's sickly in love then I'm sure that taking a beautiful photo is easier. What if the subject is obese, suffering from low self esteem and shy in
front of the camera, not photogenic and just really hard to work with. Do they cover this side of photography is their curriculum's?

I remember having maybe about 3 professional photoshoots in my life. None went well. I was carrying weight in all of these shoots, had no idea how to angle my body, hold my head, where to look, how to "pose." I needed direction. In one instance i had mascara smudged all under my eyes, my lipstick smudged, and a necklace tangled and twisted. It doesn't feel natural in front of a lense for me. Infact i feel bashful and scared. Enough about me.

I'm no photographer. I credit their skills and abilities. Can you make anything, or anyone look their best? Please don't take this as a "i hate photographers" blog, not the case. Just wondering what you can do to the average joe blow, and overweight people out there.... or what can you do for me (in other words?)

5 comments:

  1. From a photographer's point of view, the best way to get someone to look good in front of the camera is for them to be comfortable to start with, and then a natural smile is the best accessory.

    I'll make a deal with you. Let's work together to get a photo that you're happy with and we can both explore this idea together. You and me as model and photographer just trying to find the right angle.

    We'll just keep going until we get it right (over more than one session if needed). What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I've noticed that on the latest magazine bearing Susan Boyle's face on the front cover, they've strategically used her hands to cover her double chin.

    And I am also a little bit worried about the number of members taking up photography because my market keeps on shrinking! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man Liss, sign up for that deal asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got yourself a deal maioha. happy to do a trade... some photos for a haircut and colour? let me know times and particulars and some info...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Lis! When Maioha did my maternity shoot she made me feel soooo comfortable! I've never had prettier photos. She's also taken some of the best shots of my kids too. Lucky you! I can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete