Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When the saints hurt each other

"Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:10)

I've been a "mormon" all my life. I developed a testimony around the age of 12yrs and went from relying on my parents testimony to relying on my own. The strength of this testimony has fluctuated from time to time in my life. I think conversion plays a role in how we live the gospel in our lives as well. I was also raised in a fairly strict home. There was no mistaking the rules in our home nor the consequences that inevidably would soon follow after knowingly breaking rules. A strong sense of right and wrong has always been present within me. Whether this was taught or a prior ability that has remained with me in the pre-existance i don't know. At times its a curse, and on more than one occasion been a wonderful blessing in my life. Moral quandries are not something i'm familiar with.

So to the topic of this blog. Many a disciple, whether Christian, Muslim or Buddist have been persecuted for their beliefs. Many have died as martyr's or have endured severe trauma in their lives as a result of their beliefs. Today is no different. Saints throughout the world receive criticism or persecution on a daily basis. Its a scary, upsetting experience being verbally or physically abused for your beliefs and convictions. We all have a story or two or three of such experiences. We expect to encounter opposition from the world. I did not expect to encounter is from within the church.

I understand we are all at different levels. And hopefully we're all striving to some degree. I understand that judging and condemning people is a sin. I understand sin, godly sorrow and repentance. I understand how we sometimes justify sin and behavior. I understand that we all have our "favorite sins." I understand we all struggle. I GET IT. We know what the commandments are, we know and are continuing to understand our covenants, we know we should be christlike and compassionate, we know what we should be doing. I GET THIS AS WELL.

What makes me fractious is saints persecuting saints for being righteous. Actually it does more than make me fractious, it makes my blood boil. How dare anyone persecute anyone for their level of righteousness. Remarks are often made in a spirit of joking and being conjevial. THEY ARE NOT FUNNY. On occasion we all need to be brought to repentance and this is often hard to hear and can often make us prickly. I don't profess to be a prophetess or leader of any kind but i do want others to be made aware and to cease this behavior. It has hurt many people i love and respect. Family members and friends have shared humiliating accounts with me and in return i have felt indignation and frustration. It is not necessary!

It would be inappropriate for any individual to opening mock and torment any member for disobedience or sin, how is it then acceptable for any individual to do the complete opposite. Its just plain nasty. Their is no need for it and it needs to stop. Its still gossip when we're talking about someone being too "molly mormon."

I'm not nieve enough to think that we're all buddy buddy. Sometimes we all can't "just be friends." Its ok that we're all not best friends. Certain personalities clash and that why we all have our own social circles. I do think thats its reasonable enough to be polite and respectful to each other. Many a member of the church has left activity for such reasons. We're adults people. Lets start acting like it. This means that we will have to serve with people we don't necessarily like, or that we don't agree with our leaders decisions, or that Sis Marshall really ticks you off but you smile have a brief conversation and thats that!

Bullies are amongst us and it needs to stop. If you have a problem with someone, have the guts to pull that person aside, talk about in a mature manner, apologize if necessary, pull your head in if necessary and in return you may find a mutual respect or even friendship blossom. I speak from experience of having to do this. My mouth has gotten me into trouble on more than one occasion, and whilst i'm trying to learn to bridle my tongue, merely acknowledging i have a problem is not enough. It has meant that i've had to ask for forgiveness, and offer sincere apologies. Sometimes the particular person and i still in the end didn't agree, but agreed to disagree and offered respect and acceptance. We are commanded to love one another, not just the people we like. That would be too easy.

Kindness begins with me!

9 comments:

  1. You're a bigger person than I Alicia Kilworth....am still struggling with this one. Admirable :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lis, you took the words right out of my mouth. I, too, have frustrations over members being mocked for their righteousness. Grrr! It's been floating around in my head too, thinking about writing a blog about it. I think I'll just add a link to your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, why on earth would we try to bring people down who are good!? Surely they're the type of person we should admire if our desires are to be more like the Saviour.

    I think the term 'Molly Mormon' etc is one of the saddest put downs in the church. How sad to not want to celebrate righteousness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I despise the molly mormon term. Thanks everyone, i just couldn't lay dormant any longer. I was just thinking of that John Bytheway talk... "i wanna be good, but i don't want to be that good." Look i'm no saint and have certainly been struggling with my own spirituality of late but this needs to stop. thanks girls, whilst i was willing to stand alone on this one, its wonderful to have people support. love you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess part of becoming like Christ is to learn to suffer as he did, even being cursed and spurned by his own. Mocked by the same men he went to school with and learned the Torah with. The only question then is not what's it like to feel as Christ felt, it's what's it like to feel like one of those who mocked and cast derision - guilt is worse than pain. Ask yourself do I feel guilty or has my pride gotten in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post! I totally agree with you. In fact, I've felt exhausted from struggling to do the right thing, even around members, and have also been persecuted (never to my face I must say) for not living up to someone elses expectations of me... and I've found the latter has gotten worse as Stephen has served in more prominent leadership positions- even nit-picking to my leaders in the hope that they'll call me to repentance. I'd love it if we could all be more accepting of others' levels of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know a lady who was just baptised in our ward who did so despite nasty talking behind her back in the ward. When I asked her how on earth she could do it, she just shrugged and told me because she knew the gospel was true. And though being at her previous church for 19 years and NEVER having the kind of unkindness she'd received in our congregation, she couldn't deny the Spirit. I was humbled - and made a vow very much like yours to learn to keep my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bounced over here from the Mormon Mommy page. You gave no specifics and so I HAVE to comment since I've become a self appointed watchdog for religious pretentiousness. When a nursery leader nixed using the gym because toddlers "playing and running" wasn't "appropriate for the Sabbath" I spoke my mind and completely disagreed. When a R.S. pres insisted on being called "President (name)" instead of sister or (gasp) first name I also spoke my mind. Same goes for mommy group conversations that lead to some women talking about how they would "never turn down a calling" "never let a (preschool aged) daughter wear sleeveless"....or never watch a PG-13 movie. I'm fine with and wholeheartedly agree with most of these decisions, but when a "SAINT" starts trying to gently correct everyone else around them in a self righteous manner I usually choose to speak up. Your post was a call to repentance. Sometimes the road really does go both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica your probably right. This post was written out of frustration and hurt. However I don't regret anything I wrote. I myself had to repent of silmilar fault findings. I guess when we spend too much time condemning anyone we have wasted time at working out our own salvation. Like yourself I have a hard time staying quiet when something doesn't sit well. This was one of those occasions. It's scary to speak up, people can attack you verbally or in the written form. I believe it's important, and from what I gleaned from your comment so do you. I believe passivity and justification are rampant in our world. Most only feel comfortable to speak up or take sides when they feel safe in a majority or in a conservative point of view.

    I've been called to repentance by many different people. Some with authority, some with qualification and some with no merit or relation to myself. For example reading people's blogs or watching a Mormon message. When the sting of guilt or judgement leave, we are left pondering. Or at least I have experienced this. In large part I think this post was written to accomplish the latter part.

    Thanks for your comment. Do you have a blog of your own? I like the way you think:)

    ReplyDelete