Thursday, April 22, 2010

Namby Pamby

So I had my second attempt at the dentist yesterday. The First time I allowed the chick to just take x-rays. Result... 2 root canals and 1 filling. JOYOUS. She offered to do them on the spot, and I flat out refused. My so called crutch (also know as vallium) had failed to "support" me and I was left teetering on the edge of sheer terror and inner turmoil. I could of sworn I felt the dentist bring out her COWARD brand and stamp me right in the forhead.... sssssssssh! And in all honesty her prices were extortion! So another appointment was made. For yesterday. I was recommended to here by another woose (who can't of been that big of a woose because she actually went through with it).

I'd taken my 2 vallium that morning, then again a half hour before the appointment, thinking that if i built up a dosage that slumber would befall me in the chair and all would be "fine."
Linc picked me up and off we went. I could feel my whole body in fight and flight mode... I wanted to RUN! Even waiting I felt sick... that smell of dentists makes me want to puke. To make a long story short I managed the needle and numbing up part and almost braved about 4 seconds of drilling... Put my hand up and lifted my glasses. THAT WAS IT

Couldn't do it... burst into tears . The whole team spent the next 5 mins with lines similar to "you've made it this far" to which alicia was interpreting as "suck it up." Major anxiety, nausea, and terror were telling me don't you dare open you mouth up again. So after paying a $60 consultation fee, we walked back to the car. Linc dropped me home and i sat at home feeling pathetic and fat from a numbed up mouth. Mum arrived home with the kids from the library 20mins later and I really enjoyed telling her that i balked.

So the anesthetic investigations start. FREAK $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Mum tells me we could buy a car for the same amount. I immediately feel better pfft. Everytime the issues comes up or someone talks to me about procedures the cold sweat stars, heart rate up and HUGE anxiety overwhems me.

So I feel wonderful knowing that my husbands hard earned dollars is going to be used on his cowardly wife to get her teeth fixed. I also am enjoying the huge bruise the dentist left me when giving me the needle yesterday.

WHO THE HELL DO DENTIST THINK THEY ARE?!

AND WHO THE HELL CAN AFFORD THEM!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Alicia! What a story!
    So I can slightly commiserate..... I have had a few root canals in my time. They are not enjoyable - with the least enjoyable component being the bill one is presented with at the end of the 30mins of torture. However, it is by and far better than the excruciating pain from an infected and decayed tooth. I know. I have had many many nights of agony with toothaches. NOTHING touches the pain, though admittedly I've never tried valium. Tuesday night was one such night. I had THE WORST pain ever. Ever. Never before have I been awake ALL night. That is not an exaggeration. I did not sleep at all. Not a wink. I was watching the clock all night and counting down till daylight. Then I rang the dentist at 7.26am left a message with my pleading story. They returned my call at 7.40am and said they could fit me in at 11.30am. What???? I can't wait till then. Any earlier? We'll let you know if there's a cancellation. Thanks I reply. And spend the next 7 hours moping and watching clock again.
    It was as I expected: a root canal. Though my problem always seems to be that they have trouble locating the exact tooth. There was lots of poking, banging, an x-ray, ice being held to the teeth but then relief, joy even. 4 shots of anaesthetic later, one of which had me groaning with pain and almost screaming. The assistant offered to let me squeeze her hand.... But the pain was gone. Oh, I felt so good. Admittedly, I don't mind the drilling. It doesn't bother me. The needles give me much discomfort and I hate the clampy thing they put around your tooth when they do a filling. But I'd all it again if it meant no pain. I just wish they'd reduce the bills by about 30%.
    I feel your pain - I know tooth pain better than most. Go and get the root pulled out. it will only take them about 5 minutes and then you will be PAINFREE for ever more. ahhhhhhh it's bliss I tell you!
    Have they given you any antibiotics?

    Have you tried laser dentistry? They do root canals..... Not sure how it is, but it might be worth a try????

    All the best Alicia. Thinking of you. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Bev, you poor thing! Nothing comes close to tooth pain... at least in child birth you get a break between contractions and a beautiful baby in the end. I've developed this major phobia, so they'll have to knock me out. It seems all my senses have a fear of the dentist, the smells, tastes, the way all the contramptions look, the feeling obviously and sounds... ALL of it. So glad to hear your out of pain. I am on antibiotics which is a relief. Infact the painrelief only started working after the anitbiotics kicked in. Why do teeth have to have nerves in them?!

    I can relate about the screaming thing... i understand how people in times past would just rip the tooth out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told the dentist that my toothache on Tuesday night was far worse than childbirth. He laughed and said he doubted it. I told him I've had 2 and no pain relief for either..... I'd deliver 10 more babies before having that agony in my mouth again! (note I said I'd give birth to 10 but would NOT have 10 more in my family!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how a male has such a perspective on childbirth... pfft! Just fix the problem buddy, you don't know what your even talking about, and thank the Lord you'll never know either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have a rotting tooth I was supposed to be doing something about it ages ago. Your stories are freaking me out physically and financially. AAAAAGGGHHH

    ReplyDelete
  6. So it seems that gargling with really salty water works a treat for pain relief... fyi

    Jillina, go get it checked out, if its a filling then it gonna be sooooo much cheaper than the whole root canal business! We all try and pretend like nothing is wrong, until the pain comes and we can't ignore it anymore...

    ReplyDelete