Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kindy Escapades

As your all aware we started kindy this week... i say we because its truly has been a joint effort... for spencer and myself. Drop offs and pick ups have been great. Sleep time.... well. So i decked the boy out. I completely ignored the whole "kindy clothes" rule and put him in his lets say his 2nd best stuff. I had a beautiful matching sheet set, made a groovy sheet bag and packed the coolest undies (as opposed to the almost lost their elastic, faded, daggy undies). I went and bought him a special drink bottle from the health food shop, and even made a kindy rule booklet complete with pictures. OK, you've got the idea. He's been bugging me about going to kindy since last week when we went to check the centre out. The phrase "mum, lets go to kindy" was wearing thin and i completely oblivious to anything bad ever happening.

As i said drop off was fine... so i went home, ignored the housework and played for hours with Brooklyn. I don't ever remember doing this ever! Not that she' minds, she's such a independant happy baby, and only circles back to mum every now and then for some attention and reassurance. I really enjoyed spending time with her. The phone rings and i just knew it was the kindy... i was right. I hear his teacher (only just), because i can hear Spencer wailing uncontrollably in the background. I leave immediantly. The whole drive in I'm thinking, oh what have i done to this boy.

I arrive, he takes 20 seconds to settle down! 20 SECONDS!!!!!!!!!! we stay for 10 minutes, and Brooklyn becomes the class' mascot and is patted and stroked to death. He's happy, i leave him there. I pick him up later to learn that he's taken some chunks out of some kids with his teeth. ARGH. He fell asleep in the car and woke up in the most FOUL MOOD. I've never ever seen Spencer like this. Kicking, screaming, howling, throwing his body down. No amount of talking, consoling, yelling, threatning, or bribing could console him. He slept like crap that night, and so did the rest of us. I was really worried that the sleep routine we'd worked really hard on in previous weeks was about to come unraveling real fast...

Day 2
I arrive at sleep time to find his teacher walking him around in the playground, so his howls wouldn't keep the other children up. I learnt that usually all the other kids sleep, but yesterday only 1 managed to sleep through Spencer's upset. I'd come prepared with a teddy, his favourite blanky, his music CD which he falls asleep to every night and his aromatherapy oil which we use to help his sleep well, and have good dreams.

Long story short... 5mins later he was asleep! I guess i'll continue to do this until he feel comfortable and settled to do this on his own. He is such a different child when he's had sleep. Lets see how next week pans out

I'll add some photos soon

1 comment:

  1. oh Alicia!!! DOn't they just like to add a little bit of drama to our lives!?!?! Such sweethearts tho - its so heart wrenching to hear about someone else's kid crying their day away, but I would have limited sympathy for my own!!! :) Hope he settles in soon!

    ReplyDelete