Wednesday, February 24, 2010

SHOPPING



Once upon a time i used to enjoy shopping. Actually i used to love it. I remember getting that "high" from buying some latest fashion and almost wetting my pants in anticipation of the event where i could show off me in my latest purchase. Gosh i even remember getting excited as a newly wed about grocery shopping. Researching new recipes and making up meal rosters. Almost glowing with pride as i pushed that trolley, with its spoils of white bread and full fat mayonnaise.

My enthusiasm dampened a little over the years as i slowly started putting on weight. Other factors like, modesty, wanting to be an individual and a tad quirky, $$ (i was on a childcare and hairdressing apprentice wage) the tired factor, and the time factor were all starting to take their toll as well. Then I became PREGNANT with Spencer and the thrill factor of shopping took a steep dive. The whole swollen ankles thing after standing all day as a hairdresser sucked even more when on the way home you had to do a quick shop.

Not to mention maternity is not a category clothes designers are used to hearing about let alone designing for. I recall a particular shopping trip to Carindale with Linc on a late Thursday night. I was desperate for clothes as i was literally bursting my seams and so off we went to face the beast: aka any Westfield shopping centre. I swear my blood pressure and heart rate go through the roof as soon as i step inside the place. So picture this... cranky, tired and 5mths pregnant Alicia breaks down in the middle of the isle, right outside boost juice. "I"M SO FAT...... sob sob."

I'd like to say thats the only time thats happened but its becoming more the norm. Its pretty hard to remain chipper when store after store inadvertently are telling you that your fat. The christmas spirit is lost when rude, snotty, untrained teenagers give you attitude at the check out. Patience is lost when you child is screaming his lungs out between the cereal isle and frozen section. I find myself psyching myself up to walk into stores.

So i had a pleasant experience recently with shoes. I walked into a store had a look around, like some shoes that i saw but discounted them quickly as i have an extremly wide foot with the added bonus of a high instep (thanks for that HF...). I started walking out and had the impression to "just go ask." LUCKILY I DID... the fruits of my obedience.











So yesterday i had a 2nd positive shopping experience. In a QUILTING SHOP! The thrill was back, i wanted to spend big time. I loved everything. Staff were helpful and polite. I wasn't being rushed or frazzled by children. BLISS. Its almost like your floating on air. You're feeling GOOD, REALLY GOOD, LIFE SEEMS GREAT, THE WORLD BECOMES A BEAUTIFUL PLACE, ALL IS AS IT SHOULD BE.... then you turn the price tag over.


3 comments:

  1. I don't like shopping either anymore. I hate sifting through the racks, trying to use imagination and put together a 'cool' outfit when it looks really daggy on the hanger.
    If I shop without kids it's still on good. I wonder around aimlessly and can't focus on the job at hand!
    I'd love a personal shopper. Someone else to do all the hardwork! I don't have enough vision. And the 270degree surrounding mirrors in the changerooms? ughhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wonder how much those personal shoppers are? Plus one that has some real class and taste, not just trying to put you in the latest fashions

    ReplyDelete